Monday, May 16, 2011

When does it become a hate crime?

My friend David shared this on Facebook, and I wanted to share it on here as well.

Rainbow HandsAlthough progress is being made constantly, this report (and the video embedded within it) make it very clear how far we've yet to go.  At a recent marriage rally in New York City, Rev. Ariel Torres Ortega of Radio VisiĆ³n Cristiana made the following statement:

Committing sexual acts between man and man. And receiving the retribution of the things that they have done from straying away. And because they did not take God in count. God gave them over to reprimand their mind to do things that are not right, being against all justice, fornication, perversity, aberrations, malignity…those who practice such things are worthy to death, not only do they do it, but those who also practice it. God bless this earth. That is the word of God.


I could hardly believe my eyes when I read it, so I watched the video as well.  I just cannot fathom how someone can claim to be spreading the word of a loving God and then assert that people who don't fit into what they view as "right" are "worthy to death".

I feel angry, disgusted and horrified all at once.

You can find the article (complete with video) here.  You can also support PFLAG (a Canadian charity providing support and education to LGBT individuals, their families, friends and allies) here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment