Tuesday, October 25, 2011

If being gay is a choice

As an LGBTQ ally, I have no problem stating that I absolutely do not believe that sexual orientation - hetero, homo, or bi - is a choice. I think that the idea that being LGBT is a choice is a load of ... y'know. I think that argument is often used by people who can not or do not want to accept that humans encompass a wide range of sexual orientations and preferences -- and each of them is as natural as any other. I have a wide range of LGBTQ friends, and every one of them will tell you that they have always been LGBTQ, they will always be LGBTQ, and they didn't "choose" to be LGBTQ.

That said, I can't say it as well as Dan Savage. In response to Herman Cain's statement that he believes homosexuality is a choice, Dan has invited him to prove it - by choosing it himself. What better way to support your own argument than to demonstrate it?



As posted by Dan on The Stranger's Slog blog (emphasis added by me):

[box]

Dear Herman,

If being gay is a choice, show us the proof. Choose it. Choose to be gay yourself. Show America how that's done, Herman, show us how a man can choose to be gay. Suck my dick, Herman. Name the time and the place and I'll bring my dick and a camera crew and you can suck me off and win the argument.

Very sincerely yours,

Dan Savage

And then I'll say this: when someone argues that being gay is a choice, he's not just insulting gay people. (And ignoring the science of sexual orientation.) He's insulting straight people. If homosexuality is a choice, then so is heterosexuality. Last night on CNN Herman Cain said that being straight is something that a straight person can take or leave. Herman Cain believes that heterosexuality is something a heterosexual can decide to walk away from, like a underwater house or a lousy meal. Straight people should get angry when they hear a straight person making this argument.

[/box]

So far, Herman Cain has yet to back up his opinion with action. I'll keep you posted when it happens!

:P

Candice

1 comment: