Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More than words ...

Tomorrow night's workshop is all about communication.

In planning this session, I've come to the conclusion that it would be very easy to put together an entire workshop (6, 8, 10 weeks) about communication all by itself.  There are so many things to think about and I've had to make some tough decisions about where to focus my attention and what I think will most benefit the youth.  I've decided to focus on the basics ... the components of communication (what you say, how you say it, body language), I-statements, and miscommunication.

What we say only accounts for 7% of the message we send.  More than anything, it's our tone of voice and body language that we use to communicate with others ... how we say it, and how we act when we say it.  That's what I want to impress upon the youth.  There will be plenty of role-playing, role-modeling, and discussion, and my good friend Scott will be assisting me with this session.  I'm really looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I lived closer so I could come watch. I'm curious about how you frame this one. :)

    ReplyDelete