Friday, September 2, 2011

Newsworthy Sex: Mistrial for young man who shot gay classmate

I’m currently working nights, which gives me ample time to peruse the internet for newsworthy sex and interesting articles to comment on. This post is the result of said perusal, and considering I wrote it at 3am on my iPhone, I think it has turned out pretty well. I’d also like to give credit to the app News360 for bringing my attention to so much great news. This particular post is about an article posted on "The Daily Mail" website; you can read the full article here.

The article is about the trial of a young man, (now) 17 year old Brandon McInerey. Three years ago, McInerey took a gun to school and shot 15 year old Larry King twice in the back of the head, in front of classmates. King was openly gay.

This appears to be a highly sensationalized trial. McInerey has been said to adopt a "white supremacist philosophy that sees homosexuality as an abomination" (The Daily Mail). He had previously been heard making death threats against the victim and is reported to have told a psychologist that he “wanted to kill Larry after he passed McInerey in a school hallway and said “What’s up, baby?”” (The Daily Mail).

There are many areas of this article and this devastating situation which I could pick apart, but there is one quotation which really jumped out at me:
"The school administration was accused of being more concerned about defending Larry’s civil rights than recognizing his behaviour and clothes.

His high heels, makeup and feminine clothing made other students uncomfortable."

 (The Daily Mail)

Yes, the accused was clearly made uncomfortable by the victim's clothing/makeup/behaviour. That sucks, and I can see both sides ... On one hand, there’s a young man (King) who wanted to express himself and dress in a way that reflected who he was. This, for him, meant makeup, high heels and feminine clothing. On the other hand, there’s a young man (McInerey) who was uncomfortable with homosexuality (in general) and his peer (specifically). While I don't agree with homophobia in any way/shape/form, I accept that it often stems from fear and ignorance. As well, I believe that having a "gut reaction" (eg discomfort with King's clothing and makeup) is natural and that even wonderful and loving people are entitled to their squeamish feelings (it's what they do with those feelings that really counts).


What it comes down to, unfortunately, is simple: a young gay teen was shot in the back of the head by a peer, in a crime that appears to be motivated by homophobia and hate. That isn't the fault of the school administration. Hell, at least the admin was trying to protect King's civil rights. At least they were allowing him to express himself and to be himself. Many school admins are way over on the other end of the field, openly homophobic and doing whatever they can to push a homophobic agenda (such as quash GSAs (gay-straight alliances) and preventing gay kids from taking their partners to prom).

It's not the fault of the admin that McInerey was uncomfortable, or that he made threats, or that he brought a gun to school and shot King. The administration did their part, they stepped up and tried to do the progressive and accepting thing, and I think it’s unreasonable and unfair to try to shift the blame for this killing to them.

I'm not saying that anyone - victim included - is completely innocent. I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened ... but I think it must be acknowledged that McInerey told the psychologist that he wanted to kill King after King said "What's up baby?" to him. (I'm also wondering ... what did the psychologist do with this information?) It seems, from the information I have, that King knew McInerey was uncomfortable around him, and this statement could be seen as an effort to increase that discomfort. Sexual harassment goes in every direction.

I repeat - and please don't misunderstand what I'm saying - I am not condoning what happened or any of the homophobia running wild in this case. But we need to look at the whole situation, including King’s actions and the role they may have played in triggering McInerey to "snap".

Honestly, I don't have much of an opinion about the issue mistrial in this case. It seems to be a matter of deciding whether to convict him of manslaughter or murder, and if murder, what degree. Yes, it was premeditated. Clearly McInerey felt provoked, and I repeat, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did. There had been ongoing issues between the boys which may or may not have been addressed (perhaps this is a failure on the part of the administration?). Regardless, a young man was murdered by a schoolmate who was homophobic and dealt with his anger at his peer by shooting him in the head.

And that's very sad. :(

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment