Friday, April 16, 2010

It's about diversity.

Yesterday I received another box of goodies.  Those of you who are familiar with my apartment are probably groaning and thinking "Oh goodness, where is she going to put more stuff?  I assure you, the office can handle it!

Canadian Diversity FlagAmongst all the goodies, first on my reading list (which begins next week, after the three assignments, two papers and one test are over!) are two more informational books from Public Health - "Sexual Orientation in Schools" and "Gender Identity in Schools".  As a heterosexual Caucasian female living in a hetero-normative, largely Caucasian society, I have not had to contend with many of the issues facing the diverse youth in our communities.  I feel strongly that it is my responsibility to educate myself as much as I possibly can regarding the experiences of those with whom I cannot directly identify.

Which brings me to my latest venture - an information and resource display at a Student Leadership Conference, all about LGBTQ issues and equality.  I am not yet sure of my particular responsibilities regarding this event, but I can tell you that I am very excited!  I will update when I have more information!

If you're looking for resources such as the ones I've mentioned in this post, visit the CATIE Ordering Centre - have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment