Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New York approves same sex marriage!

I know, I'm behind the times ... this is already old news.  I've been swamped with life, a new job, graduation, etc but I wanted to send a quick "horray" out for this progressive movement towards marriage equality.  Go New York! New York is the sixth and most populous state to legalize gay marriage, and the celebrations can be heard loud and clear.  Hilary Clinton made a public statement in support of the move:

"So far as the United States is concerned and our foreign policy, and our values . . . gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights,"
(Vancouver Sun - emphasis added)


Gay couples all over New York state have begun to plan their weddings -- weddings they have only been able to dream about for years.



"I feel like a first-class citizen, a first-class New Yorker, for the first time in my life," said Jim Reda of Brooklyn, outside the Senate chamber with his partner of eight years. "We will be married by the end of the year. I can't believe I'm actually saying that."
(Yahoo News -
emphasis added)


Thank you, New York, for realizing that we are all humans deserving of respect and equality!


If you want to read more about this issue ...


New York's same-sex marriage law sets off waves of engagements


Clinton calls New York gay marriage vote "historic"

Same-sex marriage goes down to legislative wire in New York

 

No comments:

Post a Comment