Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Upping the ante for daddies ...

Last week I heard an interesting discussion on a local radio station.  The two hosts, both men, were discussing the fact that one of them will be taking some time off for paternity leave.  The other host was full of jabs -- "oh so you're taking mat leave?" etc.  Given the circumstances -- I was listening to a rock station, many of whose listeners (and most of the djs) are male -- I wasn't surprised that there was teasing!  It did, however, get me thinking more about the social dynamics involved with work and home life, raising children and taking time off to do so.

[caption id="attachment_1514" align="alignleft" width="142" caption="Captured By Kristin Newborn Photography"][/caption]

So when I read this article today, I couldn't resist posting it for your reading (as well as thought and perhaps even discussion?).  I think it's interesting to read about how the Norwegian government is working to enhance both employment and family equality.  While I am certain not everyone will agree with this movement, I think it's a great idea and it seems to have been quite successful.  It places more responsibility on men to care for their children, allows women an opportunity to work on their own careers without having to pay for childcare, and it allows the children a chance to spend most, if not all, of their first year with their parents.  The rates of paternity leave really speak for themselves ... in 1993 when the law was passed, only 3% of Norwegian fathers took paternity leave.  Fewer than 20 years have passed, and:

"In Norway, 90% of fathers take at least 12 weeks' paternity leave" (Chemin, 2011).


Perhaps Canada could learn from this system!  It is already catching on in other parts of Europe, including Germany, Iceland and Portugal.  I am interested to see where else this will become more popular.

Read the entire article here: "Norway, the fatherland: paternity leave law helps create more equal households"

Enjoy!

Candice :)

p.s. Click the photo or click here to see more fantastic newborn photography from Captured by Kristin Newborn Photography!

p.p.s. Thank you to my dear friend Michelle for posting this article on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I love this article! Well put! My husband took 4 weeks of paternity and honestly it was great that he was able to do so! It helped me out so much, especially with being a first time mom! He would do it again in a heart beat too! He enjoyed being around to experience everything with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hayley, I'm glad you had such a great experience with paternity leave. It would be great to see it become more common a little closer to home. Please share the post with anyone who might be interested!

    ReplyDelete